- Written by Peace Loise Mbae for KenyaKidz
The Higher Education Loan Board offers education loans to students in various higher learning institutions to enable them to complete their education smoothly. Here is what you need to know about HELB loan application.
How much loan can one get?
A student is required to pay Sh 50,000 per year at a public university. HELB awards a maximum loan of Sh 50,000 and bursary of Sh 8,000.
When can one apply for a HELB loan?
HELB places advertisements in print publications inviting applications of the loan with the deadline also indicated. The adverts are also available online.
When are loan awards released?
HELB releases loans awarded before the start of every academic year. Students are therefore required to check for notifications in their emails if awarded. Those who fail to secure a loan can apply the next academic year or appeal, with every concern reviewed on its own merit.
Why one fails to secure a loan?
• Providing inadequate information
• Providing false information
Technical Vocational Education and Training Institutions (TVET) students, health students enrolled in either KMTC or Faith-based institutions, Undergraduate Students and Postgraduate Students.
How to apply;
1. Visit their website on www.helb.co.ke
2. Log in and fill in the loan application form
3. Print out two copies of the fully filled form
4. Have the form filled by required relevant authority and guarantors(for first-time applications) and by the Dean of the respective universities(for subsequent applications)
5. The form should then be signed and all necessary documents attached. Use the checklist on the last page of the application form to confirm.
6. The form should then be submitted at any of the following stations;
>Huduma Centres: Nairobi, Thika, Kakamega, Eldoret, Kitui, Nakuru, Mombasa, Nyeri, Embu, Kisumu, Machakos, Bungoma, Turkana, Kitale, Kisii, Meru, Kericho, Nandi [Kapsabet], Garissa and Muranga.
>HELB Student Centre on Mezzanine One [M1], Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi
7. Finally, retain the copy of the filled loan application form
HELB Interest rate
The interest rate is four percent per annum for direct entry students and 12 percent for all salaried applications with the interest accumulating immediately after the loan is offered.